BAEST - Necro Sapiens (Album Review)

BAEST - Necro Sapiens
Release date: 5/3/2021
Label: Century Media Records
Written by: X.K. 


For the last couple of weeks, I found myself digging into this third full-album release by the Danish death metal squad BAEST. Realistically speaking, I have only seen these guys live a couple of times but they never did strike me for something I would go home and listen to. If you are a regular reader of our blog it might not come as a surprise and you might just think "...do you even listen to anything else other than the so-called black metal". Listen up! I do!

For a change, I started out by giving this new creation called Necro Sapiens a couple of spins, then I got the thought that I couldn't just review it without going through their previous discography, to catch up on their sound, so I did. They started out grey and a bit bland, progressing towards a darker, more obscure universe that suited them more than expected, particularly the deadly vocals on the entire Venenum album. Now, in the present, they have returned to what they started out as, a soft version of themselves which is such a bummer. Every time another song would come on, I found my mind wandering off, thinking about dinner and other to-do's for the day. Especially with Necro Sapiens, I felt it was undynamic and flat, much like the taste of that alcohol-free beer they just made an advertisement for. I want to understand this letdown, because the vocals actually carry something greater, a counterweight that seems to lift those riffs, that constantly create boredom in a head like mine. 


BAEST

I would like to point out 'Goregasm' and 'Meathook Massacre' with the reason that if they were not on this album, I would have had to chastise it even more. These two feel like the type of candy that you wouldn't share. Both have something extra, more inventive than the monotonous inspiration that clearly is drawn from their idols. The tempo and energy beat each of the other eight tracks, sadly they are drowned through the mass faster than a vehicle sinking. 

I wouldn't mind catching them live again, since that seems to be working out better for them. This album was apparently recorded live in the studio, which is even more disappointing as it carries no touch of that, nor little passion. Perhaps a real live version would do the trick. Skål herfra!

We give this album

Out of 6



Favorite song: Meathook Massacre
Tracklist: 
1. The Forge
2. Genesis
3. Necro Sapiens
4. Czar
5. Abattoir
6. Goregasm
7. Towers of Suffocation
8. Purification Through Mutilation
9. Meathook Massacre
10. Sea of Vomit


BAEST Facebook:

BAEST Bandcamp: 

Century Media Records Facebook: 

Century Media Records Website: 





Kommentarer